Thursday, August 9, 2007

The Old Farmer's Almanac...a definitive piece of Americana


The Original Old Farmer's Almanac is a classic in Americana. I know for me personally, I've been reading the Almanac every year for about the last 20 years or so. It was started back in 1792 and has been going strong every year, ever since. I don't know how anyone could not enjoy the Farmer's Almanac. It's chock full of all kinds of interesting stuff. From folklore to recipes to American history to gardening tips....even the ads have a sense of nostalgia. Something about American farming and weather predictions and when to plant your crops...even things like Apple Corers for sale..I don't know, can't explain it but it leaves me with a sense of comfort and days of old. Sometimes it makes me want to be standing on a pier on the coast of Massachusetts, watching the fog roll in with the Gordon's Fisherman at 4:00am....temperature about 35 degrees with a very slight rain whipping through the wind, and Bouys chiming in the distance. Or a crisp Autumn morning before the sun comes up or an evening in October with pumpkins for sale in abundance everywhere I go....oh I could go on and on...*sigh*. Ahhhhh, the things an imagination can do. If you get a chance, pick up an Old Farmer's Almanac and curl up in your pajama's with a nice hot cup of tea, wrapped up in a warm fleece throw,(the Almanac comes out in the Fall) just before bedtime and read from cover to cover...you won't regret it. "Thank you" to everyone who helps keep the Almanac coming each year!

No comments: